Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Its full and awful grandeur





"Its full and awful grandeur" was how Charles Dickens described the ruins of the Roman Forum. It would have looked different in his day, with the arch of Septimius Severus and Column of Phocas (left) half buried, and the Basilica Julia (foreground ruins) entirely underground. The church of Luca and Martina would have looked the same, and ditto the Curia Julia (right), except for its window arrangement.

This picture is in a group show at the Westland Gallery opening this Wednesday. 

3 comments:

  1. If you are delighted to be in ancient ruins, you are either a curious historian or a romantic person!

    MMI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I was in Florence for an entire semester, I was exposed to something new every single day, and that was exhilarating to me. Constantly encountering new sights, sounds, and smells caused me to be in a perpetual state of awe, which is something I truly miss. Whether it was a street artist showing off his work or an old Italian man playing the accordion, something new caught my eye each day as I explored the city. *****************Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urban Sketchers Toronto (USk Toronto / USk TO) is a chapter of Urban Sketchers, an international non-profit association of artists who sketch on location.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/USKTO/

    ReplyDelete