Thursday, November 19, 2015

Chat & Chateau




I made this for the 2015 In the Round fundraiser at Graven Feather in Toronto, which runs until the end of November. Each participating artist received 3 plywood disks, the size of a CD, to embellish as they pleased.

The picture was inspired by one of my favourite childhood illustrators, the amazing Peter Spier. His books enchanted me when I was young, and to be honest, they still do. His simple but evocative landscapes, inhabited with happy children and sparkling architecture, inspired in me a desire to see a world I was too young to even know existed.

My illustration ended up more sombre than its inspiration would suggest - but that often happens in my drawings. But hopefully someone will look at it and wonder where that road leads.

5 comments:

  1. You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.
    ― William

    ReplyDelete
  2. See the world one sketch at a time.
    Urban Sketchers is a global community of sketchers dedicated to the practice of on-location drawing. We share our love for the places where we live and travel—one drawing at a time.

    https://urbansketchers.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. An Artist's Life For Me!

    Sit on the shoulder of a working artist and nosy into the ups and downs of my world. Stow away on my adventures, to learn how my reportage-sketching works; watch how my picture books are created, from your spy-hole inside my studio; sneak a peak into my sketchbooks; join me on my newest exploration into the colourful world of textiles... and be there to help me tear my hair when things aren't going to plan!

    https://lynnechapman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. LYNNE CHAPMAN
    CONTEMPORARY ARTIST, BASED IN THE UK, CREATING PAINTINGS, DRAWINGS AND HAND-STITCHED, FINE ART TEXTILES.

    https://lynnechapmantextiles.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Urban Sketchers Waterloo Region (USkWR) is a chapter of Urban Sketchers, a global non-profit dedicated to sketching on location.
    This free group is open to everyone. All ages and skill levels are welcome.
    We meet 2x/month in the Waterloo Region area. We sketch on location, indoors or out, and share our work here on Facebook or Instagram (@uskwr).

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/UrbanSketchersWaterlooRegion

    ReplyDelete