Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chateau Barben



I apparently sketched this - from my bicycle - at 3:16pm, on May 18th. In 2004, if I recall correctly. It's a castle in Provence which I passed on my way to Salon-de-Provence from Cadenet in the Durance Valley. I dimly recollect a long ride amidst Roman ruins and the prevailing scents of lavender and rosemary. With, perhaps, a hint of labdanum. A good day.

Re: the castle, my notes say:
"original castle prior to c.1000, Property of St.Victor [a monastery in Marseille]. Acquired by King Rene, who sold it to the Forgin family, who still own it? They enlarged it in the 14th and 17th century, [but] the round tower was enlarged after the 1909 earthquake."

Which is clearly wrong, since King Rene was not alive in the 14th century. I must have meant the 1400s, and in fact the sale took place in 1474. Wikipedia (en Français) tells me that the same family does indeed still own the castle, although not, sadly, what they're currently doing with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment